Om Namo Venkatesaya

Called KCR, No Reply - Smriti Irani

Union HRD Minister Smriti Irani at her best in the Parliament while speaking on the issue of suicide of UOH student Rohit Vemula. In a stentorian speech blended with emotion and aggression, Smriti didn't spare any of her political rivals. Stating that the dead body of Rohit Vemula was used as a 'political tool', she shoot her question straight to Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi that why he visited HCU twice if not he hasn't seen any 'political opportunity' in the issue. "Even when 600 students died during the Telangana movement, Rahul Gandhi visited only once. But when a student committed suicide in campus, Rahul has visited twice," pointed out Smriti.

Stating that she won't apologize for what has happened, Smriti also quoted Rohit's own suicide note where he made no one responsible for his death. "As soon as I got the news of Rohith Vemula's suicide, I called KCR, only to plead that the law and order situation should be under control as the whole law and order control lies with the State but not Centre. I was told, "Sir is busy right now." I never issued a public statement against the chief minister thinking that he will call back, but he never called back. But I have a call record. I even spoke to his daughter (Kavitha). I issued several letters in reply to Rao's letters. An idea has been created that the HRD minister responds only to government ministers. I have always tried to resolve issues irrespective of the complainant's caste, creed or religion," said Smriti.

"I am not going to apologise for doing my duty. If you want to leave, you may do so. You never wanted to listen to my response, you never had the intention to do so," she added. Earlier Smriti started off her speech stating that "My name is Smriti Irani. I challenge you to ask me my caste," she said, rubbishing allegations that Rohith was persecuted because he was a Dalit. Earlier another BJP MP Anurag Thakur too attacked Rahul goes to a university named after his grandfather (JNU) and 'supports anti-nationals'. He also questioned why Rahul didn't visit the house of martyrs who sacrificed their lives for the nation.